It may be getting colder outside, but that doesn’t mean the couch has to be your new best friend. Below are tons of ideas to have fun with your family and friends during these long winter months. We’d love to hear about your favorite winter activities in the comments below too!
Activities to Do With Kids
- Go sledding! If you live in a warmer place, try sledding on cardboard boxes down grassy hills!
- Invent a board game. Work together or let each child invent a game and take turns playing them.
- Break out the crafts! Have a coloring contest, make paper snowflakes, or build an igloo with mini marshmallows.
- Look on Pinterest to find some fun winter-related science projects you can do together at home.
- If you get snow, make snow ice cream.
- Go bowling in your new PJs you got for Christmas.
- Build an indoor fort.
Activities to Do With Your Spouse
- Take a day trip and explore a nearby town together.
- Try something new—whether it’s a new coffee shop or restaurant, a sport neither of you have tried, or a class to learn a new skill together.
- Embrace your artistic side: go to a concert, see a play, or tour a historic home.
- Do all of the winter things! Go ice skating, make hot apple cider, and build a cozy fire.
- Be a tourist in your own city. Visit the newest restaurants and take goofy pictures together at the most popular landmarks.
- Volunteer together at a homeless shelter or food kitchen.
Activities to Do With Extended Family
- Have a bake-off. See who can make the best chocolate chip cookie or apple pie.
- Bundle up and go on a winter hike.
- Invite your family over for a PJ night, watch movies, and enjoy hot chocolate.
- Make s’mores over the fire (or indoors in your oven).
- Visit an aquarium, zoo, or science museum.
- Have a winter family photo shoot.
- Put a puzzle together.
Activities to Do With Friends
- Create a hot chocolate bar and compete to see who can come up with the best flavor combos.
- Try a fitness class or new hobby together.
- Start a dinner club. Rotate who hosts at their home each time, and have everyone bring a dish to share.
- Volunteer at a homeless shelter or non-profit organization.
- Host a game night. Have everyone bring his/her favorite game so you have lots of choices!
Activities to Enjoy on Your Own
- See a movie in theaters.
- Get a head start on your TBR (to be read) pile for the year.
- Go on a wintery walk.
- Clean out your closets. The winter is a great time to donate coats, hats, scarves and to do a total clean out!
- Try a new recipe.
- Take time to reflect on the past year and set goals for the year ahead.
What are some fun things you do during the winter months? Share your ideas below!