Starting a new small group is not brain surgery. But it does require intentional strategy. Here is a quick reference guide to starting a new group.
1) PRAY. Sounds simple but it’s essential to your new group’s effectiveness.
2) GET YOUR PASTOR ON BOARD. Don’t be offended if he doesn’t come to your group. He’s busier than you realize. Share your vision with him, however. He’ll be your biggest fan.
3) DETERMINE LOGISTICS. When, where and how often will you meet? Keep in mind– men are busy! You’ll rarely find a time that works for 100% of men.
4) CHOOSE A FORMAT. Will you use video or no video? How many weeks? Will you study a Bible book or a topic?
5) PICK A STUDY. Check out LifeWay.com/Men to see our newest studies.
6) GET THE WORD OUT. Start promoting your group at least 3-4 weeks before you will begin. *Tip: Personal invitations are more effective than mass appeals.
Kris Dolberry is a pastor, speaker, writer, and church consultant. After serving in pastoral leadership for 17 years, Kris now leads Ministry to Men at LifeWay and serves as Executive Editor of Stand Firm, a daily devotional magazine for men. Kris is husband to Vanessa and dad to Konnor, Emma, and Brady. They live outside Nashville, Tennessee.