The Apostle Paul set a wonderful and powerful example for us on how to make disciples of others. He lived his life in such a way that people could see a living demonstration of the Holy Spirit’s power to transform a life. Then he encouraged people to follow his example as he followed Christ’s example. When the church at Thessalonica followed Paul’s and Christ’s example like that, they had an impact on a significant portion of the Mediterranean world. Join me in seeking to follow Paul’s model as we pursue Christlikeness. See his example in 1 Corinthians 2:4-5; 1 Corinthians 4:16; 1 Corinthians 11:1; Ephesians 5:1; and 1 Thessalonians 1:6-7.
Just as universities require a core curriculum for a particular degree program, churches need to establish a core curriculum for disciples. They may offer many courses of study to appeal to personal interests of members, but disciples of Jesus Christ need to be trained and equipped in the essentials of faith and practice. If your church does not have an established foundational curriculum, I’d like to recommend a set of resources for your consideration.
Week One: Taking Your First Steps as a Follower of Jesus Christ
- Growing Disciples: The Call to Follow Christ (by Claude King)
- Growing Disciples: Abide in Christ (by Andrew Murray and Bo Stevens)
- Growing Disciples: Live in the Word (by Philip Nation)
- Growing Disciples: Pray in Faith (by T. W. Hunt and Claude King)
- Growing Disciples: Fellowship with Believers (by Mel Blackaby and Bo Stevens)
- Growing Disciples: Witness to the World (by W. Oscar Thompson, Jr. and Carolyn Thompson Ritzmann)
- Growing Disciples: Minister to Others (by Richard Leach and David Wheeler)
[Click Picture to View Presentation. Then click “more info” button for right-side details.]
Churches and leaders are recognizing they have missed the mark of making faithful and mature followers of Jesus Christ. Examine motivations, strategies and resources for returning to effective and fruitful disciple-making.
This 62 minute video/PowerPoint presentation on e-quip.net is in 8 chapters. Select chapters in the lower right corner to watch a segment. Download the handout under “More Info” button at the bottom center.
2. Returning to Disciple-Making
3. The Multiplication Potential
4. Discipling Toward Maturity
5. Resources for Discipleship
6. Turning Hearts Back
7. Penetrating Lostness Through New Groups
8. Growing Disciples Blog