The Wise Men’s Worship
The Point: Jesus is Lord and He deserves our worship.
Want an easy way to find EXTRA! each week? Bookmark BibleStudiesforLife.com/AdultExtra.
Get Into the Study
Use the following as an alternate introduction and Question 1.
According to an article in Forbes, this year’s Black Friday’s online purchases totaled over $6.2 billion in spending, and Cyber Monday’s online purchases were projected to total $7.9 billion. This has been an enormous holiday shopping season—as a matter of fact, between November 1 and November 26, consumers spent $58.5 billion in online purchases alone! With so much to buy, it makes sense that shoppers would want to take advantage of the post-Thanksgiving sales and get ahead on their Christmas list.
Christmas shopping in 2018 has become an art form—when to shop, where to shop, how to get the best deals, how to find the right toy before it sells out. But what can we learn from the first Christmas gifts ever recorded? The three Wise Men brought the child Jesus the most valuable gifts they could possibly think of—gifts that symbolized Jesus’s deity, humanity, and royalty. They were gifts of worship and praise for the Christ Child!
Ask: Do you ever think of giving Christmas gifts today as acts of praise to the Messiah?
Ashley Emmert is a freelance writer and full-time mama from Chicago, where she lives with her husband and her new baby boy. You can find her on Twitter at @ashgemmert, or failing to update her blog at ashleygraceemmert.blogspot.com.
Live It Out
Use the following to supplement the Live It Out section.
Ask: Is anyone still listening to Christmas music?
OnePoll, in conjunction with Quaker State, recently released results from a survey of 2000 American car owners who were asked questions about holiday travel. According to the survey, 67 percent of people reported singing together as part of their holiday travel experience. The favorite sing-along song for Christmas travel was “Jingle Bell Rock.”
Ask: Do you sing along to Christmas songs in the car with other people? What was your favorite song this year?
We can worship Jesus our Lord by singing praise and worship songs with others.
Ask: What was your favorite worship song in 2018?
This week, listen for songs that praise God for who He is, what He has done, and what He has promised to do. Jesus is Lord and He deserves our worship. Look for opportunities to worship Him with others.
Nikki Wilbanks is a graduate of Pepperdine University, where she studied literature. She lives with her husband and two children in Murfreesboro, TN.
- How can you determine what a person is really passionate about?
- What VIP would you most enjoy meeting?
- What’s a gift you just couldn’t wait to give to someone?
- Why do you think Herod was “deeply disturbed” at the news of Jesus’ birth?
- What do the circumstances surrounding this journey by the wise men suggest about God’s plan?
- What surprises you about the story of the wise men?
- What have you learned about authentic worship of Jesus?
- What are some signs that someone truly desires to worship Jesus?
- Who are some people who oppose Jesus’ rule today?
- Why are these gifts of the wise men significant?
- When have you seen someone sacrifice in order to truly worship?
- Why is giving such an important part of worship?
Send the following link to your group members as either a teaser before the group meets or as a follow-up thought:
Here’s a brief video giving you an overview of this session: The Full Picture of Christmas, Session 6
This article complements the study. Share this link with your group members.
- HomeLife –
- Mature Living – Keith Getty: Deep Songs Build Deep Lives
- ParentLife – Family Time with God as the Focus