Let’s turn up the volume on a couple of 4th of July BBQ sides! Sidle up these dishes next to your perfectly grilled burgers and barbecue chicken for a spread to remember (and enjoy).
Watermelon Cucumber Salad
2 limes, juiced
2 teaspoons red wine vinegar
4-6 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
Kosher salt & freshly ground black pepper
1 seedless watermelon, diced (about 5-6 cups)
2 cucumbers, seeded & diced
4 ounces feta, crumbled
10 fresh mint leaves, chopped
- In a small bowl, whisk together the lime juice, vinegar, olive oil, salt, and pepper to make a dressing. Taste for seasoning and adjust.
- In a large bowl, combine the watermelon, cucumber, and half the dressing. Toss and add more dressing as needed.
- Sprinkle with feta cheese and mint and serve.
Red, White & Blue Fruit Skewers
Strawberries, leaves removed
- In a consistent pattern, slide the fruit & marshmallows onto skewers. Try 1 strawberry, 2 blueberries, 1 marshmallow, 2 blueberries, 1 strawberry. Repeat.
- Feel free to use raspberries in lieu of strawberries. Marshmallows can be substituted with banana slices or angel food cake cut into 1-inch pieces.
Cilantro Lime Slaw
½ cup canola oil
¼ cup white vinegar
¼ cup honey
3 limes, juiced
½ teaspoon cumin
2 teaspoons salt
½ teaspoon pepper
1 head cabbage, finely shredded
3 carrots, peeled & shredded
1 bunch scallions, chopped
½ cup fresh cilantro, chopped
2 jalapeños, seeds removed and finely diced
- In the bottom of a large bowl, whisk together the oil, vinegar, honey, lime juice, cumin, salt, and pepper. Add the cabbage, carrots, green onion, cilantro, and jalapeño. Toss thoroughly.
- Cover and refrigerate for 1 to 2 hours.