Memorial Day is around this weekend’s corner. And that means cookouts! If you need to take a side dish to an outdoor soirée, try one of these simple salads. Plus they are healthy and delicious.
Easy Tomato & Cucumber Salad
2 large cucumbers, halved lengthwise, seeded & diced
4 Roma tomatoes, seeded & chopped
½ red onion, chopped
Fresh mint leaves, chopped
6 splashes red wine vinegar
6 splashes olive oil
Salt and pepper to taste
- Toss everything together in a bowl. Let stand at room temperature for an hour, stirring occasionally.
- Serve at room temp or cold.
Adapted from Ina Garten
¼ cup olive oil
½ teaspoon lime zest
2 limes, juiced (about a ¼ cup)
1 clove garlic, minced or grated on a microplane
1 teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon pepper
¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 pint cherry or grape tomatoes, halved
1 can black beans, rinsed and drained
1 small can whole kernel corn, rinsed and drained
1 orange bell pepper, diced
½ a purple onion, diced
1 or 2 jalapeños, diced
- In a medium to large bowl, whisk together the olive oil, lime zest, lime juice, garlic, salt, pepper, and cayenne pepper.
- Add the remaining ingredients except the avocado. Toss well.
- Just before serving, diced the avocados and add them to the salad.
- Serve alongside grilled burgers or fish. Or serve as a dip with blue corn chips to complete the rainbow.
By day, Larissa Arnault is a Marketing Coordinator for LifeWay Women. After hours, however, you can find her trying new recipes in her prized Le Creuset Dutch oven while listening to French music. Follow her cooking blog at KillingTimeBetweenMeals.com.