Today’s post is the first in a new series called The Minter Kitchen. You may know Kelly Minter as a talented author and speaker, but she’s also a kitchen connoisseur. In the coming months, she will share with us some of her favorite recipes, crafted from the produce in her prolific garden.
As we welcome the cool weather of fall, it’s nice to squeeze the last flavors of summer out of our remaining fresh tomatoes. At least in Tennessee, we can get our hands on fresh Romas off the vine—or any tomato for that matter—for another few weeks.
I hope this is the same for you! Here’s a super easy recipe for those wanting to hang onto a few more days of tomatoes: Homemade Spaghetti Sauce. And if you can’t get tomatoes from your backyard or a local farmers’ market, there are always fresh tomatoes at your grocery store. Just go for extra ripe where you’ll get the most flavor out of your tomato.
Homemade Spaghetti Sauce
serves 6 to 8
10-12 ripe tomatoes
1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
1/2 head of garlic (approximately 8 cloves)
Salt and pepper to taste
Fresh parmesan (enough to generously sprinkle on top)
1 lb. of your favorite fresh pasta
1. Boil a pot of water that will be used to par boil your tomatoes. I like to throw a few tomatoes in at a time, pull them out after 10-20 seconds, then place them in a bowl of ice water. As soon as they cool, I core them and then the skins slide right off (Especially if you’re using Romas, which have a thick skin that easily separates). I don’t worry about taking out the seeds.
2. Once all your tomatoes are peeled, toss them in a 9×13 casserole dish and coarsely chop them up. I prefer to do this in the dish so the juices are preserved.
3. Mince your garlic and sprinkle on top. I think the more garlic the merrier!
4. Drizzle the olive oil over the top. You can always use more if needed.
5. Salt and pepper to taste.
6. Bake in oven for 1 hour at 375 degrees.
7. Serve sauce over pasta and garnish with fresh basil (chopped or whole leaves on top) and parmesan cheese.
Kelly Minter is an author, speaker, songwriter, and singer based in Nashville, Tennessee. She is passionate about women discovering Jesus Christ through the pages of Scripture. Kelly also partners closely with Justice and Mercy International (JMI)—a ministry that serves in the Amazon jungle. When home, her days are spent writing, cooking, gardening, enjoying her neighborhood, and loving her community. Here’s a sample of Kelly’s latest Bible study with LifeWay Women, Nehemiah!