Update: Congrats to Carol for winning this giveaway!
Did you know that July is National Blueberry Month? Visions of Violet Beauregarde turning into a giant blueberry after chewing Willy Wonka’s 3-course meal gum prototype come to mind.
Anyway, whether you’re picking them yourself or picking them up at your local farmers’ market, blueberries are a versatile little fruit. From salads and desserts to drinks and sauces, these dark blue gems bring a little tartness and sweetness to any dish. Like these blueberry muffins. These healthy, moist muffins are not too sweet. Plus the lemon zest adds a bright flavor.
Blueberry Oatmeal Muffins
Makes 16 muffins
1 2/3 cups quick-cooking oats
2/3 cup all-purpose flour
½ cup whole-wheat flour
¼ cup wheat germ (optional)
3/4 cup packed light brown sugar
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
3/4 teaspoon salt
1 ½ cups low-fat buttermilk
¼ cup vegetable oil
2 teaspoons lemon zest
2 large eggs
2 cups fresh blueberries*
2 tablespoons turbinado sugar
- Preheat oven to 400°.
- In a food processor, pulse the oats until they are a coarse meal. Place in a large bowl.
- Add flours, wheat germ, brown sugar, cinnamon, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Stir to combine, then make a well in center.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together buttermilk, oil, lemon zest, and eggs. Pour into flour mixture well and stir just until moistened.
- Gently fold blueberries into the batter, being careful not to mush them (otherwise the whole thing will turn blue). Spoon batter into lined muffin cups or a muffin tin coated with cooking spray. Sprinkle sugar evenly over the top of each.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until muffins spring back when touched lightly in the center. Remove from pan and cool on a wire rack.
* If using frozen berries, toss them in 2 tablespoons flour before folding into batter.
Now how about a fancy stone muffin pan to bake them in? Leave a comment with your favorite way to eat blueberries, and you’ll be entered to win!
By entering today’s giveaway, you acknowledge LifeWay Christian Resource’s official promotion rules found here. Today’s giveaway starts at the posting time of this blog and ends next Thursday (7/16/13) at 11:59 p.m. CST. You must be 18 to enter, and you may only enter once. The winner will be selected at random. For questions about the rules and regulations of this giveaway, please contact Bud Harlan at One LifeWay Plaza, Nashville, TN 37234-140.