Update: Congratulations to Denise Cragg for winning this giveaway!
Easter may be over, but spring picnics and barbecues have just begun. Start any outdoor meal off right with deviled eggs. This classic, crowd-pleasing snack can be as simple or fancy as you like. But first things first—you have to start with eggs that are cooked just right. We want no part of that dry, greenish stuff. This method cracks the code on perfect yellow yolks.
Perfect Hard-Boiled Eggs
• Place eggs in a single layer in the bottom of a saucepan.
• Fill the pan with cold water.
• Bring the uncovered pan to a boil.
• Cover with a lid and remove from heat.
• Let stand, covered, for 12 minutes.
• Drain and transfer eggs to a bowl of cold water.
• To peel, crack the shells and roll on the counter.
You may already have your favorite recipe, but here’s a simple, southern version that uses ingredients you likely have in the fridge.
Classic Deviled Eggs
12 hard-boiled eggs, cooled
¼ to 1/3 cup Miracle Whip (about two large dollops)
1 good squirt mustard (about a tablespoon)
2 tablespoons sweet pickle relish
Salt & pepper (to taste)
- Once hard-boiled eggs have cooled, peel off the shells, being careful not to squish them. Slice in half lengthwise. Using a small spoon, scrape out the yolks into a bowl.
- To the yolks add Miracle Whip, mustard, relish, salt, and pepper. Mix well and taste for seasoning.
- Scoop the egg salad back into the egg white cavities. Or if you want to be really fancy you can pipe it in. Simply fill a resalable plastic bag with the egg salad, cut off a corner, and squeeze.
- Dust with paprika and refrigerate until time to serve.
Deviled eggs aren’t eggceptionally hard to make, but they can be a hassle to transport. So we’re giving away this handy-dandy deviled egg carrier along with a recipe book to help you get more creative by the dozen.
Enter to win by leaving a comment with your name. And, just for fun, tell us your favorite picnic food!
By entering today’s giveaway, you affirm and acknowledge LifeWay Christian Resource’s official promotion rules found here. Today’s giveaway starts at the posting time of this blog and ends next Tuesday (4/9/13) at 11:59 p.m. CST. You must be 18 to enter, and you may only enter once. The winner will be selected at random. For questions about the rules and regulations of this giveaway, please contact Bud Harlan at One LifeWay Plaza, Nashville, TN 37234-140.