I’m an events girl, and, if I’m guessing right, you probably are too.
We girls start young by planning slumber parties and proms and move on to birthday parties and weddings. When I look back at my life, I realize I’ve been planning events long before it became my profession.
I love events! I thrive on the “to do” lists and timelines. I live for the tension and drama that come with unexpected and unanticipated challenges. Just give me a big ‘ole event to plan, and I’m a happy camper.
I especially love the events we get to plan here at LifeWay. To work with the likes of Priscilla Shirer, Beth Moore, Vicki Courtney, Angie Smith, and others is a privilege and a joy. We believe in events. They are to women what camp is to kids. Significant moments and spiritual markers happen at events. When the power of the Word of God and worship fall on a group of women, they are changed forever.
It’s a ministry experience I never get over.
It always amazes me that an event can be – at the same time – a corporate and a very individual marker experience. There are things that happen in a large group, away from normal surroundings, that God uses to impact what might be a questioning, stale, or stagnant heart. For the person already in love with HIM, it’s like an anniversary trip with your husband.
You connect on a deeper level in a fresh environment and reaffirm commitments made and convictions held. For those waning or distant from God, the Holy Spirit is right there drawing them in like a small child being gently wooed in to her father’s arms. For those cold and unbelieving, God delights in showing off by ripping down carefully constructed walls and swooping in as the Savior on His White Horse.
10. You get to see a new place! Who doesn’t love a new restaurant or a local landmark?
9. You’ll meet new people, so wait with a purpose and then start a conversation.
8. Women build camaraderie and community with each other at events.
7. There’s no doubt that the Word of God will personally challenge you to the very core of who you are.
6. You’ll make a connection with a beloved Bible teacher with which you have journeyed.
5. It’s time to break out of the same ole’, same ole’. Some of you just need to get out more!
4. Events are just plain fun. I’m convinced Christians don’t have enough of this.
3. You’ll experience corporate worship in a whole new way. Instead of worship with maybe hundreds, you’ll worship with thousands.
2. Watching other women respond to the Gospel will build your faith in ways you wouldn’t believe.
1. An event will make a memory that lasts a lifetime. God’s Word never returns void (Isa. 55:11), and that’s a promise.
Betsy Langmade is an event coordinator on the Adult Ministry Live Events team. She also manages the corporate sponsorships who have a presence at the events. Betsy is the lead coordinator for the Living Proof Live events with Beth Moore.