How many of you out there are bloggers or consider yourself a writer?  My guess is that some of you have even written a novel or a book and are waiting on the right time to release it—-or maybe you don’t know where to start?  If you’ve ever imagined yourself publishing a book, here’s your opportunity.  CrossBooks, an imprint of B&H Publishing Group (the trade publishing division of LifeWay), has a call for entries for the CrossBooks Writing Contest for 2012-2013.

Pretty cool, right?  You could win a free Marketing publishing package through CrossBooks that includes a press release, author interview video, placement on the CrossBooks homepage, and more.

Check this out for more info:

The deadline to enter is January 15, 2013.  You can find out all the details here.  Let us know in the comment section if you enter!

Comments

1. I am currently writing a book about my journey from being a non Christian to being one who listens to the voice of God. Lifeway books have helped me become empowered on this journey and my love of all the books I’ve read has inspired me to share my story. I hope that my story will inspire others as the many authors have inspired me. I have many mentors that I will never meet but who have helped me along my journey. My story has been 20 years in the making and I pray it will be a winner. Looking forward to entering.

• LifeWay Women says:

Diana — it sounds like you have a story, indeed! Thank you for trusting LifeWay Women for biblical resources. We wish you the best with the contest!

2. Shelly Oliver says:

Hello, I am a 41 year old single Mom and head of household. I have been a single parent for the better of 20 years. Some how through all the trials, tribulations & detrimental happenings in my life I managed to survive and grow strong both mentally and spiritually. And raise two amazing young ladies. For years I tried to fill a major void and emptiness in my life by making poor choices and choosing bad mates to complete me and my life. Through some major counseling and an unbelievable spiritual journey, I have finally found the path that was meant for me, and I’m single, so surprising right? I turned my focus from trying to fill the void with a man, to filling it with Christ and His love. Not only has it made me stronger, happier and peaceful, it has given me a completely different perspective on life and what it should hold
    I have had such a strong desire to share my story and testimony. And if writing a book can help me broaden the circle of people I can reach and touch their lives, then that’s what I’m going to do. I believe anytime my testimony can reach another person and help them, I’m making another step on the right path, the path in which God has planned for me. My mission in life is to bring peace, love and joy to people in abundance. When I recognized Gods love and His presence in my life and made Him my choice, to follow, to love and just let go of what I can’t change, but pray for Gods will in that situation, issue or problems. So many horrible things in my life……were just washed away by the blood of Christ. And people need to know that is availible and present for them to choose for themselve and their families and lives. Nothing is impossible for God.

• LifeWay Women says:

Thanks for sharing your story about his faithfulness in your life, Shelly! He is so good, isn’t he? Blessings to you.. and Happy Thanksgiving!

3. Beth Aaron says:

I have been writing poems of inspirations for a long time..Not sure if this is what you’re looking for. I do have a short book started of a short life story that God has inspired. May God bless each of you as richly as He has blessed me.

• LifeWay Women says:

Hi, Beth! We’d encourage you to submit your work to CrossBooks! Thanks for stopping by. Let us know if we can help in any way.

4. Betty Marschner says:

The urge washes over me once more and I am once again successful at beating the nudge into submission! I have been told often by friends that my book needs writing! I raised two kids with special needs, one had leukemia years ago as well. I survived mental illness and an unbelievable betrayal by family which resulted in my being jailed on falsely trumped up charges. I learned much about forgiveness with that. We live on the Dakota priaires and have survived many droughts and storms. There is much to write about surviving this all through the Devine Providence of God. I have a rough idea in mind for this writing but I reason that there are many thousands of books out there why would mine be read? It is expensive to publish a book and I have limited funds. I know God is leading me to do this but how and when???
    I do not see how I could crank out 10,000 words and have it looking like something by mid Jan. Especailly with the busy holidays coming up. Please give advice???!!!!

• Hello Betty,

It sounds like you have a great story that needs to be told. It seems like you have your vision for your book and that is a great start. I would recommend that you begin working on an outline for the manuscript and once that is completed, it becomes easier to begin putting your words into a manuscript format.

I hope this is helpful for you as you begin your publishing journey.

5. Hello,

I’m a writer and my wife mentioned this contest. Just wanted to clarify if this was a contest for anyone or just for women writers?

Thanks

6. Can I ask if this is open to writers in the UK as well? Would love to participate if I can!!

• Hello Helen,

I hope you are doing well today. I am sorry for the delayed response, I was just trying to work to make sure we had the ability to take care of all of the services included with the grand prize in the UK. The contest is open to writers in the UK and we look forward to your submission.

Thanks!

7. I just published a 365 day devotional called Deeply Rooted through Crossbooks Publishing and it was such a wonderful experience. The staff are encouraging and supportive and really want to help writers get their stories into the hands of people who can benefit from them and grow closer to the Lord in the process.

8. Crystal Briscoe says:

I have just submitted my manuscript entitled, If I were God. I’ve been working on it for over a year (off and on), and have been trying to find the right fit for it. Hopefully, this will be it. This book delves into how we (sometimes unknowlingly) have a tendency to think we can do a better job at handling human circumstances and remedying human conditions than God has done, only to realize just how grateful we all ought to be that none of us are God!

9. I am currently writing a book proposal, how to move from crisis to credibility. Life happens (and believe me, I know) and can knock off your feet but the tragedies of life do not have to knock you off your faith. I hope through the pages of this book that I can walk the journey of pain with many and give them the tools to rebuild and restore, making your life credible.

10. The link to learn the details of the contest is broken.

11. Penny Noffsinger says:

These questions may be answered on the website, but when I try to connect, it says there is a problem with the site.

Can I submit a children’s book for the contest, or is it for adult books only? I have written a children’s book about creation, written in rhyme.
    Is the contest for published authors or for unpublished? I have published in Home Life and Parent Life, and other Christian women’s magazines. This is such a great opportunity for writers. Thank you so much for making this available to writers. It is a tough (writing) world out there!!
    Penny

• Penny,

You can view all of the details of the writing contest at http://www.crossbooks.com/writingcontest. The writing contest is for published and unpublished authors; however, the work submitted for the contest must be unpublished.

The writing contest is for all manuscripts that are 10,000 words or more, with the exception of children’s books and picture books. I am sorry that we cannot meet your needs in the publishing contest, but please feel free to contact us at 1-866-879-0502 or visit our website online at http://www.crossbooks.com for more information about available options.

12. Becky Bourland says:

I have written the first book of a a young adult trilogy that I started. The first book seemingly is just a fun adventure tale with no immediate relations to Christianity. But as the second and third books unfold the specific relations of aspects to Christianity become more evident..
    The book is a fun pirate adventure full of the “magic” of the Holy Spirit and the guidance we find as we travel along the paths God has for us.

13. Hi, I’ve read all your T’s and C’s but can’t find anything to say whether at UK resident can enter the competition. Can you advise??? x

14. Well, I did it! I submitted my novel. Thank you Lifeway for giving us this opportunity. I’m quite aware that there are many many writers out there just waiting for their turn to become published. Thanks to a co-worker who listened and cared enough to share this contest with me, I’m one step closer to this reality. I’m actually a third into my second novel with three others on the sidelines waiting to be written. I love to write and I feel God has given me a passion to write to encourage others and share the truth of Christ in a fun loving way. My prayer is God’s will, God’s perfect will. I know He will use my writing to make a difference for Him, whether it’s through this contest or other avenues.

15. So, if we’ve been working on a book, but it isn’t finished yet, can we just submit the chapters we have to equal the 10k? Or does it need to be a finished product?

16. Brenda Hogarth says:

I’ve had an idea for a long time, but doubt I could finish it by the deadline. It would be fiction, but based upon the day(s) after the crucifixion.Would this kind of writing be acceptable?

17. Does Crossbooks offer this contest every year or is this a unique opportunity?

• This is the first year we have offered the contest; however, I believe that we will be offering it on a regular basis in the future. The success of the first contest will determine the frequency of other contests in the future.

Thanks

18. I currently am trying to finish up a book on what God has taught me in this season of waiting in Him. It’s not about how to wait as much as how to find the beauty in waiting. Sometime we don’t view waiting on God has something beautiful, but when we put our hope in Him and trust His Sovereignty we can rest in the truth that there is something the wait is for. Trying to finish up the book so I can submit it by the deadline.

19. Does this contest include fictional books … is there an age limit?

20. Entered my novel entitled, “A Tale of the King” – Thanks so much for the opportunity!

21. I’m really excited for this opportunity. I have a passion for mentoring and leading young women. Lifeway played such a huge part in my young adult years, in deepening my knowledge and love for Christ. I would be honored to be a part of the CrossBooks team. I will enter a Bible study written for young adult women helping them dig deeper in scripture and find the purposes in why God says the things He does. Thank you for this contest and good luck to all who enter!

22. I have a question, if I have included a quote (and cite the reference at the end), do I need to obtain written permission beforehand. Some quotes, I do have written permission, but some I do not. Thank you!