Women’s ministry leaders can be catalysts to encourage love and support for our ministers’ wives. Check out these suggestions provided by women’s leader and pastor’s wife Becky Badry.
The ministers’ wives in your church are special ladies in your women’s ministry with a set of needs unique to ministers’ families. Make special efforts to take care of a minister’s wife and family by trying a few practical ministry ideas:
1. First and foremost, pray for her. Ask for her prayer requests, and check back for answered prayers. If she shares with you, confidentiality is a must.
2. Ask her to give her testimony at a women’s event.
3. Recognize her during pastor appreciation month (October) as part of the pastoral family.
4. Take up a love offering just for her.
5. Get to know her. Ask her questions about her favorite people, places, and things.
6. Send her cards and notes of encouragement.
7. Remember birthdays and anniversaries with cards and or gifts.
8. Be sensitive to ministers’ family time.
9. Be responsive in times of illness or needs.
10. Give her a prepaid phone card so she can call family and friends.
11. Offer free childcare so that she can have a break from the kids.
12. Give her a gift certificate to her favorite restaurant.
13. Go shopping with her, and buy her a new dress or outfit (Don’t just give her the money – she’s like every other woman and will probably spend it on the kids or something for the home!).
14. Invite her to have lunch with the girls.
15. Pay for her to have a manicure, pedicure, or a day at the spa.
16. Pay for the minister’s family to have a night out (ballgame, movie, or dinner)
17. Pay expenses so that she may attend women’s ministry or ministers’ wives events.
18. Give her a gift of thank-you cards, and include a book of stamps.
Use these simple ideas to encourage the ministers’ wives in your church and show your support from one church leader to another.
Becky is former Director of Women’s Resources and Missions Mobilization for the Colorado Baptist Convention. She is also a LifeWay Ministry Multiplier. In addition to serving Colorado Baptists as a missionary with the North American Mission Board, Becky has been a minister’s wife for over 30 years. She and her husband have served churches in Oklahoma, Georgia, and Colorado and are currently members of Riverside Baptist Church, Denver, CO. Becky has a passion to see minister’s wives network and find the encouragement they need to faithfully fulfill God’s call in their lives. Becky has completed her Women’s Ministry Certification at New Orleans Baptist Theological Seminary, and is a graduate of Golden Gate Theological Seminary with a Master of Arts in Educational Leadership. She was also the recipient of the Educational Leadership Service in Ministry Award in 2010. Becky and Jay have two sons, Jeremy and Justin, and a wonderful daughter –in-law, Rochelle. Becky is also the founder and director of Women in Leadership Coaching .