I was recently reading the July issue of Home Life magazine and was drawn to an article by Camerin Courtney. She mentioned several great ideas for helping the military family and since it’s the 4th of July I thought I’d share them you.
1. PRAY regularly for a military family. Stay in contact with them. Ask for specific requests and let them know you’re praying for them.
2. ADOPT a military family as a Sunday school class or small group and establish a rotation of volunteers to help provide meals once a week.
3. TAKE CARE oF the family’s yard work during the summer, or offer to have the family’s car serviced when it’s needed.
4. OFFER TO WATCH the family’s children on a regular basis so the acting single parent gets a break.
5. CALL the soldier or military spouse once a week. Be ready to listen. Deployment brings a lot of emotions, and being able to express them is a big help.
Consider doing a small group study for military wives using Sara Horn’s Tour of Duty or share her book GOD Strong: A Military Wife’s Spiritual Survival Guide. See more help at Sara’s web site: www.wivesoffaith.org