We have just finished our first preview event and it was great to see so many of you there. We even spotted some of our past VBS Geeks of the Week, and some were wearing their T-shirts! We love getting to meet you and hear all about your VBS. So, today I am going to leave you with a picture of some major VBS Geeks, part of our VBS Team! Hope you enjoy and hope to see more of you at the other VBS Preview Events!
- What is your role in VBS? Promoter for the Northwest Baptist Convention and VBS Co-Director
- What was your “geekiest” moment? Arriving at a VBS training event in an RV because it was the only way to transport all the decorations!
- What has been your favorite VBS theme? 2005: Ramblin Road Trip: Which Way Do I Go?
- You might be a VBS geek if . . . you cannot comprehend why anyone would not want to be involved in VBS.
- What makes you keep doing VBS? Seeing what happens through VBS inspires me to do it again: kids grow spiritually, leaders develop as volunteers serve and the church experiences greater unity.
On the eleventh day of Christmas, I decided to share with you our LifeWay Kids Christmas grazing day! Our VBS team was in charge of it this year, and we decorated our meeting room on the floor and invited everyone to bring their favorite Christmas snacks. We had Christmas movies playing, hot drinks (hot chocolate, apple cider, and tea), and food out all day so whenever anyone needed a snack or a break they could come and get it! While most of our time on our floor is spent working, we do enjoy fellowshipping with one another and celebrating anything involving food! I also have to send a shout out to our graphic designer Gordon who not only builds VBS sets, but also makes awesome Christmas trees! So, what’s your favorite Christmas snack?
On the third day of Christmas I am going to talk about my favorite Christmas gift! I can only remember throwing a tantrum in a store once in my life, and it was because I fell in love with a doll and my parents would not get it for me. I was traumatized, and my parents were just ready to get out of the store! Well, then came Christmas and what did I find under the tree? That very doll that I cried and cried over! She became my very favorite doll for many years. I loved that she looked like a real baby and she laughed when you would shake her. I named her Elizabeth because that has always been my favorite girl name. I played with her for many years. I do still have her, but she no longer laughs like she used to. That’s what happens when a toy has been loved on for so long! Here’s a picture of me and my sister on Christmas morning, me with Elizabeth and her with a monkey!
What’s your favorite Christmas gift you’ve ever received? Comment below!
This week’s Geek of the Week is Dawn Tolliver from First Baptist Church in Galveston, TX.
1. What is your role in VBS? I was the Assistant director/3-4-5-6 grades teacher in 2013. I have been in every position possible at some point or other. I was also on the decorating committee for the “Food” sections.
2. What was your “geekiest” moment?” We went up and down the stairs shouting at the top of our lungs.. facing fear/trusting god and we won the flag for the day and there were only five of us! Then we went outside and had snow cones and everyone had blue tongues from the cotton candy flavored cones.
3. What has been your favorite VBS theme? I have to say I loved the colossal coaster world theme. My Husband and I are professional balloon decorators on the side and we loved making our very own coaster out of balloons and used the inflatable cars to ride the ride. Our room was the best according to the kids. We may be small but we are mighty.
4. What makes you keep doing VBS? The message of VBS is what makes it worth all the “Fun” beforehand. We get to show the folks who might not come, how wonderful serving Christ is. We show the friends of our kids why Jesus is so wonderful and then we capture their imaginations and let them fly with the knowledge, that no matter how tough things may seem on the outside we are here for them and we have a safe place inside. Reaching those lost souls and reenergizing our found souls is what it is all about. And they can understand they are not alone. Jesus is Worldwide!
1. What is your role in VBS? VBS Director
- I attended 3 VBS Preview events in one year
- I promote upcoming VBS at every event possible: I make my Grand Prix race car to match the theme, my fall festival costume is based on the VBS theme, school chapels, etc
- I prepare VBS materials & equip leaders to teach overseas. I have been a part of training teams to Germany, Africa, Nepal, India, & Thailand.
- I plan for VBS year round – there is always something to be done for VBS
- I sing the VBS music for 3 hours straight on our 10 hour trip to VBS preview event
- I give VBS themed items as Christmas & birthday gifts – because they are just cool!
- Every T-shirt I own is VBS related – I counted before sending this email…20 & still counting
- I plan lunch breaks & meetings around the VBS reveal.
3. What has been your favorite VBS theme? Each year the VBS materials seem to be better than the previous year. I like different themes for different reasons:
- Rambling Road Trip: My “1st” VBS as a director. After that week I was hooked & knew VBS was going to be a part of my life every summer.
- Outrigger Island: The music was fantastic & I still tear up thinking about the kids singing “The Word”
- Boomerang Express: I have always wanted to visit Australia & bringing the daily lessons of Paul’s life back to Jesus made great connections for the kids & adults.
- Colossal Coaster World: Theme parks are AMAZING!!!! I love visiting Disney & it was great brining a theme park to my church. I am still using the simple truth of “Facing Fears, Trusting God “as I talk to kids and adults regarding the trials of this world.
- I love them all – VBS is the best & every theme has a special place in my heart & memories.