I'll admit up front that I'm terrified to share the Gospel with kids. In truth, I experience tremendous terror no matter the age of the person. It's not that I haven't been trained or haven't had enough experience.
My terror comes first from - believe it or not - a real fear of one-on-one conversations with people I do not know extremely well. And then there is the fear the person will ask a question from left field that I can't answer.
Of course I know I can not let fear stop me from doing what must be done. After all, VBS 2013 was about more than roller coasters. Remember, VBS 2013 was about "Facing fear, trusting God!"
So as you join me in facing my fear (and probably yours too) keep in mind these six things everyone needs to know about presenting the Gospel:
1. Evangelism is the responsibility of every member of the team - not just the pastor.
2. Evangelism is the heart and soul of VBS. Be alert for every opportunity.
3. The likelihood of a profession of faith declines rapidly after age 12.
4. Be sensitive and never pressure. Let the Holy Spirit do the work.
5. It is Jesus Christ who saves. It is Jesus Christ who is rejected.
6. Admit you do not have to have all the answers.
Join the conversation. What would you add to this list?
Jerry Wooley, @vbsguy, has served as LifeWay's VBS Ministry since 2006.