1. I am the Elementary Music Rotation Leader and a singer in our VBS Band!! We play the music live in worship rally and rotation every year. I love teaching the kids the music and motions each year. I am in college studying Music Education, and I am an American Sign Language interpreter. The combination of singing, signing, and dancing is so much fun for me!
2. My "geekiest" VBS moment was the time I told the kids why we sing "Big House" by Audio Adrenaline every year--I grew up singing it in VBS when I was a kid, and it is just so special to me! I explained the meaning of the song and taught the kids the standard motions for "Come, and go with me, to my Father's House!" I was so nostalgic. It was great.
3. My favorite VBS theme as a little girl was Ocean Odyssey. I was probably in preschool, but I vividly remember the decorations. My favorite theme as an "adult" has to be Saddle Ridge Ranch. Wearing cowgirl boots everyday was a blast, and "Tumbleweed" is a hard song to beat.
4. You might be a VBS geek if...every VBS t-shirt you've ever gotten (and that's A LOT of shirts) is safely stored in your room.
5. I do VBS every year because I know I am using my gifts for God's glory and serving children and their families. In just one week, children hear the life-changing message of salvation. Some choose to become Christians in that week and then talk to church leaders about this decision, just like I did as an elementary school student. VBS is fun, exciting, and rewarding, but the best part is seeing the way children look at you as you explain the message of a song like "I Will Trust in You." The way they light up as they walk into the Fellowship Hall, ready to praise God in the Worship Rally. I hope I always have a job at Vacation Bible School. What I see as "the little things" could ultimately have a big impact in a child's life!