1. What is your role in VBS? VBS Director
2. What was your “geekiest” moment? I have too many “geekiest” moments to count:
- I attended 3 VBS Preview events in one year
- I promote upcoming VBS at every event possible: I make my Grand Prix race car to match the theme, my fall festival costume is based on the VBS theme, school chapels, etc
- I prepare VBS materials & equip leaders to teach overseas. I have been a part of training teams to Germany, Africa, Nepal, India, & Thailand.
- I plan for VBS year round – there is always something to be done for VBS
- I sing the VBS music for 3 hours straight on our 10 hour trip to VBS preview event
- I give VBS themed items as Christmas & birthday gifts – because they are just cool!
- Every T-shirt I own is VBS related – I counted before sending this email…20 & still counting
- I plan lunch breaks & meetings around the VBS reveal.
3. What has been your favorite VBS theme? Each year the VBS materials seem to be better than the previous year. I like different themes for different reasons:
- Rambling Road Trip: My “1st” VBS as a director. After that week I was hooked & knew VBS was going to be a part of my life every summer.
- Outrigger Island: The music was fantastic & I still tear up thinking about the kids singing “The Word”
- Boomerang Express: I have always wanted to visit Australia & bringing the daily lessons of Paul’s life back to Jesus made great connections for the kids & adults.
- Colossal Coaster World: Theme parks are AMAZING!!!! I love visiting Disney & it was great brining a theme park to my church. I am still using the simple truth of “Facing Fears, Trusting God “as I talk to kids and adults regarding the trials of this world.
- I love them all – VBS is the best & every theme has a special place in my heart & memories.
4. You might be a VBS geek if . . . You might be a VBS geek if…your pastor says to you, “Planning for next year? We haven’t even had VBS this year!” or when kids come to your office & it looks like the stage from Saddle Ridge Ranch.
5. What makes you keep doing VBS? I keep doing VBS year after year because I love seeing kids, parents, & leaders get excited about learning about God! It is great seeing kids come back year after year and getting to see how God is working in their families. Seeing everybody sing, dance, & learn the same Biblical truth makes me smile inside & out. It is a true picture of the Body of Christ coming together for the purpose of children hearing about God. Nothing beats being a part of God’s purpose & plan! I have the best job at VBS, seeing lives – young & old – changed for eternity.