Enduring Truth: Restoring Sound Theology and Relevance to African American Preaching by Aaron E. Lavender (B&H Academic. 9781433692048. Paperback. $24.99)
“Enduring Truth is a powerful and passionate call for African Americans to re-institute sound theological preaching to the pulpit. Christ is exalted at the turn of every page and Lavender’s steadfastness to the Bible’s authority will keep the reader grounded in the truth and thesis of the work. The discussion questions are good for personal reflection and small group discussions. I would recommend Enduring Truth for any pastor seeking personal growth or a resource for pastoral training programs. In addition, it’s a great book for faculty teaching a preaching course.”—Kevin Jones, Assistant Professor of Teacher Education, Boyce College
The Old Testament: A Historical, Theological, and Critical Introduction by Richard S. Hess (Baker Academic. 9780801037146. Hardback. $49.99)
“In this new volume, Hess has produced a truly outstanding introduction to the Old Testament. It provides a thoroughgoing, scholarly presentation of all the books of the Hebrew Bible yet at the same time is accessible for students with its well-structured, articulate text. Moreover, the excellent selection and placement of illustrative materials provides a wonderful undergirding that rightly serves the reader in the learning experience.”—K. Lawson Younger Jr., professor of Old Testament, Semitic languages, and ancient Near Eastern history, Trinity Evangelical Divinity School
The Insanity of God DVD (LifeWay. 9781462745623. DVD. $14.99)
The Insanity of God is the true story of missionaries Nik and Ruth Ripken. After the death of their son, this ordinary couple journeys into the depths of the persecuted church, asking the question – IS JESUS WORTH IT?
How does faith survive, let alone flourish in the places of the world that are overcome with the darkness of sin, despair and hopelessness? Join the Ripkens as they tell the story of being taught by believers in persecution “how to follow Jesus, how to love Jesus, and how to walk with Him day by day even when it doesn’t make sense.”
Evolution: Scripture And Nature Say Yes by Denis Lamoureux (Zondervan. 9780310526445. Paperback. $16.99)
- Topics in this book include:
- A biblical model of intelligent design in nature based on Psalm 19 and Romans 1.
- Examination of the ancient science in Scripture, such as a flat earth and 3-tier universe.
- Comparison of different Christian views on origins—young earth creation, progressive creation (old earth creation), and evolutionary creation.
- Criticisms of the atheistic interpretation of evolution held by Richard Dawkins and his belief that intelligent design is merely an illusion.
- Galileo’s peaceful relationship between Scripture and nature, including his view that “the intention of the Holy Spirit [in the Bible] is to teach us how one goes to heaven, and not how heaven goes.”
- Darwin’s religious beliefs and evidence of the impact that intelligent design had on him throughout his life, along with his claim, “It seems to me absurd to doubt that a man may be an ardent Theist [personal God] and an evolutionist.”