Breastfeeding? Use caution with herbal supplements. Some herbs may lead to side effects in nursing babies. If you are breastfeeding, check with your pediatrician before using herbal supplements or teas.
While there is not much studied information on herbs and breastfeeding, here are some herbs that are known to lower milk supply in breastfeeding mothers:
- Black Walnut
- Herb Robert (Geranium robertianum)
- Lemon Balm
- Parsley (Petroselinum crispum)
- Peppermint (Mentha piperita)/Menthol
- Periwinkle Herb (Vinca minor)
- Sage (Salvia officinalis)
- Sorrel (Rumex acetosa)
Normal amounts of herbs used in cooking will probably not affect your milk supply or baby; this list refers to herbs taken medicinally. As always, though, do check with your pediatrician for the most current information.