“Some trust in chariots. Some trust in horses. But we trust in the Lord our God.” Psalm 20:7, NIrV
Each week this summer, I am hoping to do a themed week with my kids. This week our theme was HORSEYS, at my 2-year-old’s request. As I outlined on my personal blog, we did lots of crafts, read books, and danced to music all about horseys.
But I also wanted to touch on where horses are in the Bible. I wasn’t sure how much I would find – aren’t there mostly donkeys in the Bible? And are donkeys horses? – but there are a few good instances!
- Pharaoh’s army chased the Israelites on horses when they left Egypt (we had a good coloring page of this in our Gigantic Coloring Book of Bible Stories – love that thing!)
- When Elijah is lifted to heaven in a whirlwind, there is a chariot of fire and horses of fire (2 Kings 2:11).
- King Solomon had 12,000 horses. Can we even imagine that many horses? (1 Kings 4:26)
- In the Book of Esther, Mordecai rose a horse through Susa when he was honored by the king.
- And of course, and most exciting, when Jesus rides victorious He’ll be riding a white horse! (Revelation 19:11)
Any of these biblical stories could be told and made into a craft to go along with a horsey-themed week at your house. And Psalm 20:7 makes an awesome memory verse for the week.
Stay tuned for more in this series as the summer goes on!