As a parent, you have the primary responsibility for the spiritual development of your child. But God wants your child to know and love Him even more than you want it. Pray that the Holy Spirit will work through you as you teach biblical truths in all that you say and do.
The Levels of Biblical Learning is an instrument you can use to reference what children from birth through sixth grade can understand and develop in their spiritual growth. It provides a chart cross-referenced by age groups and spiritual development concepts. There are 10 content areas: God, Jesus, Holy Spirit, Bible, Creation, Family, Self, Church, Salvation, and Community and World. The changes in concept areas coincide with changes in a child’s level of understanding and vocabulary.
The Levels of Biblical Learning chart is available online for free.
Using the Levels of Biblical Learning
- Read the listings in each content area matching the age of your child.
- Note the knowledge and skills your child already has firmly in place.
- Mark the statements you believe your child is in the process of making his own.
- Flag one or two statements in each content area that you feel are important for your child to know.
- Determine ways to encourage your child in the areas where you feel he already is making progress and in the areas you flagged as important.
Be on the lookout for a brand new line of resources based on the Levels of Biblical Learning coming out this summer. Puzzles, bookmarks, stickers, craft packs, and more are categorized by each of the Levels of Biblical Learning concept areas.
What are some ways that you are building your child’s spiritual foundation?