Matthew 12:34 says, “For the mouth speaks from the overflow of the heart.” This is one of my favorite verses. When we are truly loving Christ, it’s evident by our words. Our passions are showcased in what we talk about.
In July, I met Sophie Boudreaux. Sophie is a sophomore at LSU. Within minutes of meeting, I knew her passion for loving people with special needs. We met on a mission trip to South Africa, and I was privileged to watch her interact with a teenage boy who has Down Syndrome. Sophie’s passion stems from growing up with a brother with Down’s, and she strategically places herself in more areas to love on others with this condition. Take a look at the five tips Sophie gives for doing special needs ministry:
1. Embrace the fact that everyone is special.
2. Recognize that our needs are the same – to feel loved, accepted & valuable.
3. Understand that the path to meeting needs has to be tailor-made for each person.
4. Read about the diagnosis or condition, then put the book down and get to know the person!
5. Avoid predetermining limitations.
There they are – five simple tips that will help you love your special buddies more effectively. I first saw the picture above on Sophie’s Facebook page, where she added the caption, “My heart has never been this happy. #blessedbeyondmeasure #rockingthatextrachromosome” On top of these tips, Sophie’s heart teaches us that doing special needs ministry is a blessing.
What other tips would you give for special needs ministry? Comment below!