Ever heard the expression “Garbage In … Garbage Out?” My first memory of this phrase came back during the days of the first computers. We all learned that a computer can only produce the information that has first been put in. We as humans are a lot like that. Whatever we are putting into our minds on a regular basis is what tends to come out as we live, get squeezed and experience challenges in life and ministry.
As a Kids minister, I would challenge you to be reminded about these 7 simple truths that will help you “keep your eyes on the Lord” and not only dwelling on challenging ministry issues:
1. Be diligent in making sure that you are placing a high priority on your personal time with God.
2. Make sure that at the top of your list is the powerful discipline of spending time in prayer.
3. Purpose to always be reading books, articles and anything that helps you grow in your Christian walk as well as understand the times in which our children live.
4. Monitor the time you spend listening to music realizing that those tunes and words will ultimately become embedded in your heart.
5. Make a commitment to the Lord about what you will and will not watch on TV and at the movies when you have leisure time.
6. Force yourself to include time in your daily schedule to take care of your “temple” in which the Spirit of God lives.
7. Make room in your daily schedule for laughter and relaxation — learn to laugh at yourself!
“Do not be conformed to this age, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, so that you may discern what is the good, pleasing, and perfect will of God.” Romans 12:2
Jerry Vogel serves as a Childhood Ministry Specialist in LifeWay Church Resources. He is married to Janie and has four children and twelve grand kids. Jerry is a member of Brentwood Baptist Church and teaches preschoolers there. He is committed to enriching the lives of those who teach kids as well as making eternal investments in the lives of children.