As you bring this session to a close, re-emphasize the point: Rest is a gift from God for His glory and your benefit. Gather parents in a circle. Place some candles in the middle of the circle, light them and then shut the lights off.
Tell parents that as you play the song “Word of God Speak” by Mercy Me, to literally close their eyes and imagine themselves taking a rest in the arms of God. Encourage them to take in the words of the song and truly grasp what the song is conveying.
Play the song. Following the song ask the following questions:
- What would it be like to really rest each day?
- What would the benefits be to your family? To other?
- When you hear these words spoken – what comes to your mind? (read the following words from the song)
Word of God speak
Would You pour down like rain
Washing my eyes to see
To be still and know
That You’re in this place
Please let me stay and rest
In Your holiness
Word of God speak
- Do you ask God to give you rest each day? Why or why not?
- What does it mean to rest in His holiness?
- What did God’s Word speak to you from this session about rest?
Here are some alternatives to the questions printed in the Personal Study Guide that may help you customize the session even better for your group:
- Substitute the following question for Question 1 in the Personal Study Guide: When was the last time you truly rested?
- Substitute the following question for Question 3 in the Personal Study Guide: What results have you seen in our culture that are a direct result of not resting?
We want to know what you did to bring this session to a close and help your parents know that rest is a gift from God and for His glory and your benefit. Share with us!
The options for parents for the Productive unit were written by Randy Fields. Randy is the lead pastor of New Covenant Baptist Church in Grass Valley, CA. He has served in full time ministry for the past 27 years, written for Lifeway for the past two decades, and enjoys spending time with his wife Robin and two sons.