The Point: Generous giving should glorify God and reflect Christ’s giving
- Would you consider yourself as more spontaneous or as a careful planner? What are strengths of each of the two personality traits?
- Would most people be more generous if their income was $500,000 a year? Why or why not?
- What recent examples of generosity and stinginess have astounded you?
- Who do you think is the most generous person on the planet? Why do you think they are the most generous?
- If you could go back in time and invest in one or two stocks which ones would you buy?
- What does it mean to “invest” in ministry? How is it similar and different from any other investment?
2 Corinthians 9:6-7
- What is the relationship between sowing and reaping?
- How should the decision be made to give?
- What makes generous giving fun?
- Can you think of an example of someone giving out of sheer joy?
- On a scale of 1 to 10 (1 being “never” and 10 being “always”), how would you rate your “cheerfulness” as a giver? According to verse 7, what gets in the way of being a cheerful giver?
- How has this principle of sowing and reaping operated either positively or negatively in your life?
2 Corinthians 9:8-9
- Do you agree or disagree with the saying, “You can’t out-give God?” What does that saying mean?
- According to these verses, what happens when you choose to be a radically cheerful giver? Give an example of how you have experienced this in your life or observed this in another person.
- What does it practically look like for God to make every grace overflow to you?
- If God really does provide all we need at all times, how do explain poverty and hunger in our world?
- How are you seeing this principle of overflow—God pouring His graces into your life so that you may overflow into others—impact your life or the lives of others?
2 Corinthians 9:10-11
- What are some ways that God multiplies the gift we give?
- What are some examples from scripture where God multiplied the effort to meet a need?
- How do you feel rich in every way? Why does God give His children such wealth?
- What habits can we develop in the early years of our lives that will impact our world as we get older?
- What’s the promise, if we take the risk of being generous? How does faith play a role in our generosity?
- How does God increase our joy and happiness as we give to his work?
- What missions and ministry projects would you love to see expanded?
- How does giving to God’s work help us remember that God is the ultimate provider?
- How are your mind and heart responding to this call to extravagant, sacrificial, cheerful generosity? What do you think? How do you feel? Do you sense a tug of war between your mind and heart?
2 Corinthians 9:12-13
- How does generosity reflect the character of God?
- Based on 2 Corinthians 9:12-15, what are the benefits of being generous?
- How does generosity toward God’s work actually increase our joy and not deplete it?
- What effects, or fruit, of generosity have you personally witnessed?
- Share about a time when the unselfish, extravagant generosity of someone else caused you to praise God.
- Complete this sentence: I want to become a more generous person so that …