On February 4th, the Creation Museum near Cincinnati, OH will host a debate between Ken Ham, CEO of Answers in Genesis, and Bill Nye “The Science Guy.” The debate will begin at 7:30 Eastern Standard Time and conclude at 9:30. You can watch a promotional video for the debate at www.debatelive.org
For small groups that are following the suggested date of use for Bible Studies for Life, this debate coincides well with Honest to God, Session 5, “How Did We Get Here… And Why?” which has a suggested date of first use of February 16.
The FAQ section of the website says that the debate will be available to watch again on YouTube afterwards, but the promoters are not sure how many days after the live event it will remain available.
It’s a little hard to think about discussion questions before the event actually takes place, but here are some followup questions you could consider:
- Do you believe a clear “winner” emerged from the debate?
- In your view, what were some of the most compelling arguments and rebuttals made by either side?
- Ken Ham, the Christian, had the biblical responsibility to defend his position “with gentleness and respect” according to 1 Peter 3:15-16. How do you think he did?
- Do you feel like Bill Nye treated his opponent with gentleness and respect? Why or why not?
- Why is this so important as believers engage with skeptics and atheists?
- What if it had been your responsibility to debate with an evolutionist? Do you feel like you would be equipped to do so?